OFFCULTURED LUNCH BOX
Offcultured’s Passing Notes is seeking contributing writers!
Let us buy you lunch!
We’re looking for fun and insightful pieces from unique perspectives on a wide range of subjects from entertainment and social commentary to personal essays.
At Offcultured, we embrace differences between cultures and the various approaches to life that come with them, aiming to elevate unconventional voices and perspectives. Passing Notes is a reflection of our diverse society and experiences that impact the world around us; both heavy and lighthearted. We consider conversations on things that amuse us just as important as the serious subjects we have to navigate every day.
“Keep in mind that we are a company of inclusivity and open-mindedness, and we work to keep the spaces we create safe and welcome to all. Here, a diverse array of opinions and ideas can always be found, but we will not tolerate the intolerant. Hatred, prejudice, and bigotry has no room at Offcultured, and where it is found, it will be removed.”
We especially want to hear from marginalized voices, such as those of people of color, the LGBTQ+ community, and more. While our overall vibe is that of chatting with your friends, we do require that pieces be knowledgeable and well-written. Also, we are not interested in exploitative works or excessive snark.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
OCTOBER and NOVEMBER Content
- Autumn articles
- Halloween themes in 2020 media (film, TV, music, books, etc.)
- BIPOC + Horror in entertainment
- Indigenous heritage, stories, and media representation
- Friendsgiving, found family, and chosen family
- Home comforts and comfort food
- 2020 holiday planning
Offcultured 2020 Concepts
- Find the Fun
- Lifestyle & Culture – Social commentary on current events and relevant issues; personal development, empowerment, etc.
- Black culture and entertainment
- LGBTQ+ culture and entertainment
- Entertainment – Playlists, watchlists; and commentary and critiques on music, film, TV, art, theatre, and books
- Hallyu – K-pop, K-dramas, and other articles related to the Korean Wave
- Travel – Tools, tips, and other articles related to travel
- Plant Care & Tips
- Beauty & Fashion
- Health & Wellness
- Artist Profiles & Interviews – Visual, performing, literary, culinary, content creators, and more; profiles of interesting people and organizations whose work aligns with our company ethos
News and commentary is acceptable for all categories.
The above list is only for illustrative purposes; please don’t let it limit you. Pitch us what’s on your mind!
YES, we do accept articles in list format! “Listicles,” as the Internet says. Keep in mind that these should not be fluff pieces. Lists can be just as robust as any other body of work.
Additionally, while we are interested in personal essays, we don’t want them to be diaries. Photo essays are also welcome!
Compensation: $15 per published post
If you’re an established writer used to making bank for single pieces, there’s a high chance this is not for you.
If you’re a new writer looking for freelance opportunities and see a well-established company offering a similar deal to Offcultured’s Lunch Box, there’s a high chance you should not work with them.
We wholly believe creatives should be paid well for their work, and if we could offer more we would (we will as we grow). For now, we’re doing what we can and paying you from our day jobs, so let’s do lunch!
HOW TO PITCH
Please submit a one-paragraph summary of your intended article along with two writing samples. If you’ve never worked with us before, please include a brief introduction.
Send your pitch to firstname.lastname@example.org with [PITCH] Tentative Title in the subject line.
All submissions will receive a response on whether a pitch has been accepted or rejected.
Article deadlines will be provided upon acceptance of your pitch.